tags bound to certain area of the image
Face tagging is already mentioned here (Ticket #1702) and it's really must-to-have feature (even without auto detection). But I suggest to look at such tags in more extended way. It would be very useful feature to be able to set tag not only on the whole image (impressive, 21st birthday, vacations'2011 etc), but also on some part of the image. It can be an object: my first guitar, neighbor dog etc. Also it can be some image feature (if you're photograph it may make sense for you): terrible lens distortion here, too much light here, TODO: remove noise here and so on. Area tag will be an extension of normal tags with bounding box info.
In this way face tagging will be just a subset of area tagging (something like area tag with type face). I think such flexibility may appear to be very useful for advanced users who going to organize their photos (or images) by tagging everything they want. Moreover if the user is an artist or a designer, he's dealing not only with photos but with screenshots, drawings etc, so he may want to make some meta marks on them.
In a couple with hierarchical tagging (Ticket #1401) this will make shotwell the best image organizer app (at least for me).
This approach may be useful for shotwell developers as well if they introduce some other usage of area tags in future. For example, new images in the system can be analyzed for red-eyes and auto tagged with area tag with type red-eye issue, so user can see which photos and where exactly need to be fixed.
Updated by Adam Dingle about 2 years ago
- Subject changed from tags binded to certain area of the image to tags bound to certain area of the image
#3460has been marked as a duplicate of this ticket. In that ticket, Bruno made the following suggestions:
List of possible features in rough order of priority¶
- Add a positional tag by clicking on an area of the photo in the single photo view: the position is then given by a square centered on the point where the user clicked (similar to Facebook);
- Highlight the tag when the mouse hovers over the corresponding area;
- Highlight the area when the tag is selected;
- Allow the user to resize and move the tag's area;
- Use OpenCV to automatically fit the area to the selected face;
- Allow other shapes to define the area such as rectangles or ellipses;
- Export positional tags properly when publishing to Facebook;
- Export positional tags as notes when publishing to Flickr.
- This would probably require a change to the database schema such that the tag-photo relationship is implemented as a separate relationship table rather than as a list in the tag table so that the position can be specified for a given relationship;
- Should the area's position and dimension be relative to the original version of the photo or to the version that is being looked at? What happens if the photo has been cropped?
- In terms of UI, situations where tag areas overlap or are included into one another need to be considered to make sure there is no situation where it's impossible to move or resize a given area.
Updated by Valentín Barros almost 2 years ago
Here you have a link to the Positional Tags Google Summer of Code project, under which I would try to implement this feature: http://trac.yorba.org/wiki/SummerOfCodePositionalTags
There you also have a screenshot of the current (work in progress) interface.
Updated by Jim Nelson over 1 year ago
- Description updated (diff)
- Status changed from Open to 5
- Resolution set to duplicate
This looks to be a duplicate of #3894.