shotwell crashed with SIGABRT in resources_add_stock_icon()
|Assignee:||Clinton Rogers||% Done:||
I believe it was a random crash for the reporter on launchpad though the description said
“Crashed while an update in packages was being performed.”
Updated by Lucas Beeler over 1 year ago
- Description updated (diff)
In general, adding stock icons while a system update is going on (and potentially rebuilding the system stock items cache) will lead to undefined behavior. I don't know how much we can do about this. Chime in if you'd like this ticket to survive, otherwise I'll mark it as wontfix on October 1.
Updated by Jim Nelson over 1 year ago
- Target version set to 0.12
Further examination indicates that the shotwell-crop stock icon file was being loaded and an I/O error occurred, possibly because of the update removing the old file and installing a new one (possible, since we've renamed icon files in the past). Either way, looking at the code, there's two things we can do here:
1. Issue a warning rather than an error. Shotwell crashed because the icon file was not found, but an icon is not critical to Shotwell's operation.
2. Use a better warning message. The current message simply dumped the GLib error message out, which we didn't see because the log file wasn't included, making it more difficult to read the stack trace. Let's add some descriptive text here as well as print the GLib error.
This is a simple fix we can do in 0.12 to get this one off the books.
Updated by Clinton Rogers over 1 year ago
- Status changed from Open to 5
- Resolution set to fixed
We now complain in the console if we can't load the stock icon we wanted, but we continue running.